Moving to a new city can be exciting, but it can also be overwhelming. The good news is that moving to Tempe, Arizona, doesn’t have to be complicated. This blog post will look at some things you should know before moving to Tempe, Arizona. So, keep reading to learn more!
What is Tempe, AZ, and why is it a popular place to live
Tempe is Arizona’s third-largest city, with a population of about 250,000. The fastest-growing city in the region, it is aptly named after the ancient capital of Mesopotamia. Tempe has four separate school districts (accounting for over 90 schools), Arizona State University, and is a regional cultural hub. Tempe’s annual cultural festival (Tempe Fest) is the nation’s second-largest of its kind.
Tempe is home to Fortune 500 companies, including Orbital Sciences Corporation, Insight Enterprises, Inc., PayPal, and Avnet. In addition, Tempe’s unique business-friendly government supports over 40,000 jobs in the area.
Tempe is located in the heart of the Phoenix metropolitan area, known as the Valley of the Sun. With an average year-round temperature of 77 degrees, Tempe residents have year-round access to world-class attractions such as professional sports, theme parks, and live music venues. In addition, the desert summer climate provides numerous outdoor recreational opportunities, including golf courses, hiking, and biking.
Tempe also has easy access to the nearby Sonoran Desert, where scenic desert hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing, and road cycling opportunities abound.
The cost of living in Tempe, AZ
The cost of living in Tempe, AZ, is ranked 97.5 out of 100, where 100 represents the highest cost of living and 0 represents the lowest.
The median home price in Tempe, AZ, for 2018 was $240,000. The price of homes decreased by -0.1% in January 2019. This represents a $100 decrease from January 2018. The cost of renting has also decreased over this same period, with the median rent dropping from $1,000 to $1,000 in the same period.
The cost of living in Tempe, AZ, is 98% higher than the overall state average. Affording the cost of living in Tempe, AZ, requires an income of approximately $64,000 per year. This is 100% higher than the overall state average income.
Things to consider when looking for a home in Tempe, AZ
– How much will your mortgage payment be, and is it realistic?
– Try to look at homes in areas where you can get good schools for your kids. You can visit school websites and get information on test scores and state test results from the Arizona Department of Education.
– Look at other homes near the neighborhood. Are they well maintained? Does their lawn look neglected?
– If it’s winter, see if the neighbor’s outdoor hoses and water sprinklers are on.
– Are neighbors outside for yard work frequently?
– If it’s winter, is the neighborhood’s street plowed often?
– Water bills from the neighborhood – if high, you may want to look for another home.
– If it’s winter, is the street plowed often?
– Are there any potholes? These can be dangerous for pedestrians and bicycles.
– Check the neighborhood’s website to see if it has one. This can give you an idea of what the neighborhood is like.
– Check to see if the neighborhood has a homeowners association.
What to expect when moving to Tempe, AZ
Tempe is a beautiful town in Arizona near Phoenix. It’s located just to the East of Phoenix. If you’re looking at buying real estate in Tempe, there are some things to consider:
– The area around Tempe has been rapidly developing in the last 20 years as “the center of the universe” (Phoenix) moved inland. This is good news for people who want to be close to Phoenix but need more space. However, this means there are many new neighborhoods.
– Like most cities and towns in Arizona, the area can be scorching in the summer.
– Avoid the downtown Tempe area. It’s become very touristy, so the place is quite busy evenings and weekends.
– Traffic can be a nightmare in peak hours.
– Tempe is close enough to Phoenix to be convenient but far enough that it’s more peaceful.
Top Things To Do in Tempe, AZ
Tempe, AZ, is a fast-growing city in the Phoenix metro area. Home to Arizona State University, Tempe is a college town popular with college students, families, and retirees.
– Go for a bike ride along Tempe Town Lake. Tempe Town Lake is an artificial lake set in the center of Tempe. It’s popular with bicyclists, joggers, and walkers.
– Eat lunch at one of the city’s many food trucks. Tempe is home to over 30 food trucks, many of which are located in downtown Tempe.
– Take a day trip to Scottsdale. Scottsdale is a 30-minute drive from Tempe. Scottsdale is well known for its high-end shopping, resorts, and golf courses.
– Go on a walking tour of Tempe. Tempe has many notable historic sites and landmarks, and walking tours make it easy to explore them.
– Visit Arizona State University. ASU is Tempe’s largest employer. The school’s main campus is in Tempe, and it has a beautiful, open-air plaza in the city’s center.
Top Things To Consider When Moving to Tempe, AZ
When moving to Tempe, AZ, here are a few things to consider.
– Climate: Tempe has a dry, desert-like climate. However, during summer months, temperatures can reach the triple digits.
– Housing: When you move to Tempe, you’re in a bustling metropolis. The city attracts many young professionals, making it an ideal location for renting an apartment.
– Transportation: Although Arizona has a fairly extensive public transportation system, Tempe isn’t well-served by the TEMP bus system. Instead, the city offers its express bus system, called Tempe Towncar.
– Cost of living: Tempe is one of the cheapest cities to move to in the United States. According to U.S. News and World Report, Tempe’s cost of living is 13% below the national average.
– Crime: Although Tempe has remained stable over the last few years, residents should be aware of the crime rate.
– Education: While Arizona has been ranked as one of the best states for education, Tempe is home to Arizona State University (ASU), known for being one of the best universities in the country.
– Parks: Being home to ASU, Tempe has a diverse array of parks, with nearly 100 of them scattered throughout the city.
-Moving company: There are a few things to consider when choosing a moving company. The first thing to consider is the level of service you require. For example, do you need a mover for a few items or someone who can pack and move your entire home?
The next factor to consider is the price. You don’t want to overpay for a service, but you also don’t want to end up with a cheap moving company that won’t deliver on its promise.
The final factor to consider is the company’s reputation. Do they have a good history of customer service? Have they been in the moving business for a long time? Do they have an excellent online presence? These factors should be considered when choosing the best mover for your move.
Moving to a new city can be challenging and stressful, but it’s not impossible. If you’re planning to move to Tempe, Arizona, we’ve highlighted some things you should know. I hope this post has helped you prepare!
Need a professional moving company in Arizona? Then, you’ve come to the right place! At Poindexter Moving, we provide quality moving services to all of Arizona. We’re a family-owned and operated business, and we take pride in our reputation for providing top-notch service. Call us at (480) 613-7023 today to learn more about our services, or visit our website to learn more about our moving services.